Re: link: "Recursive Make Considered Harmful"

From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:24:49 +0100 CET

Andrew Hacking <ahacking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My interpretation of the documentation was that it is impossible to
> invoke an external tool and assign the output of a command to a
> variable.  This seemed a serious limitation _if_ that is the case,
> and
> rules out interfacing source code control systems, or whatever.

It looks possible, but I'm not that familiar with Jam.

actions AbsSymLink
{
	target="$(2)"
	case "$target" in
		/*) ;;
		*) target=`pwd`/"$target";;
	esac
	$(RM) "$(1)" && $(LN) -s "$target" "$(1)"
}

Snippet taken from here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/open-beos/current/Jamfile?rev=1.28
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/open-beos/current/Jamrules?rev=1.138