Re: iostat, vmstat and other kvm(4) users

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:26:00 -0800 (PST)

:
:On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 12:19:40PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     Ick.  Not two whole separate programs.  Why not just have both
:>     capabilities in one program based on whether -N/-M are specified or
:>     not ?
:
:Not two separate programs. I think we would still use one version, but
:using conditional compilation to get the kvm backend. The normal end-user
:wouldn't have to cope with most kernel changes and the developer gets
:his ps-kvm or whatever we want to name it. The same principle can be
:applied to the tools as well.
:
:Joerg

    I don't mind all normally run programs using the new API, it's just
    where someone runs 'ps' or 'dmesg' with -N/-M that we need to use the
    kvm interface.  And, as such, conditional compilation is not the
    desired solution.  Both features have to be compiled in, but the one
    that is used would depend on whether -N/-M is specified or not.