Re: RFC bus_dma_tag_parent

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:40:42 +0100

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 09:44:39AM -0800, Chuck Tuffli wrote:
>     parent_dmat = bus_dma_tag_parent(dev);

parent_dmat = bus_dma_tag_parent(dev, lowaddr, highaddr, maxsegments);

>     bus_dma_tag_create(parent_dmat, ..., &mybuffer_dmat);
>
> What kind of situations would specifying the max number of segments be
> useful?

This is useful if the bus DMA engine supports scatter/gather itself.
This can be done IIRC on the Alpha, maybe on other architectures too.
I don't mind if we have a UNKNOWN value, e.g. 0. This is not a problem
here, but for many drivers we know this in advantage and it might be
used to allocate the segment maps in the parent tag.

Joerg