Re: VFS commit schedule HEADS UP, and vfsx24.patch available - vfs work (expert developers only)

From: Sean Hogan <shogun70@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:35:09 +1100

Matthew Dillon wrote:

:Wouldn't UNIONFS and NULLFS be just as suited to being implemented in :userland as any filesystem?
:
:I anticipated some daemon vaguely akin to amd which handles requests to :union and null mounted filesystems. And portalfs, etc, etc. Any :filesystem that is more-or-less a redirection service.
:
:If the user VFS API was ready you might also get more filesystem :developers. Or lower quality filesystem developers. Or a free set of :steak knives.
:
:cheers,
:SDH

I would say so, but a prerequisit to the user VFS layering is kernel
VFS threading which I haven't gotten to yet. The current VFS patch set
is focused on the VOP_*() API fixes and namecache conversion (which themselves are prereqs to being able to properly thread VFS).
-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Um, yes. Just like you said in your VFS roadmap back with your first VFS patch. I forgot/didn't read it properly.
Apologies.
SDH