Re: OLDCARD users

From: Allan Fields <bsd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:57:51 -0400

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 12:58:03PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :How do you want to conditionalize it? It isn't included in GENERIC
> :by default, only in LINT. I want to update our cardbus code and merge
> :the FreeBSD changes in, but this is more work with OLDCARD in place.
> :
> :Joerg
>
>     How about this.  Now that we have a new DragonFly_Stable tag I think you
>     can rip the oldcard drivers out from HEAD.
>
>     BUT, before you do so I would like you to commit something that I can slip
>     the DragonFly_Stable tag over to that simply disables the drivers,
>     causing them to error out if someone tries to compile them without
>     specifying a hack option to reenable them.
>
>     [..]
>
>     That way we can find out who is actually still trying to use the drivers
>     and get them squared away rather then just rip the drivers out and make
>     them S.O.L.

The only thing I can imagine it used for is those with really old
(Pentium era) laptops they use casually (works, some battery life
left, fast enough, etc..)  I tend not to chuck hardware until it's
really dead (and so have found NetBSD well adapted to this niche;)
I realize though, that not all maintainers may wish to expend the
additional effort maintaining support for 90s-era hardware.

I installed DragonFly on an old Gateway laptop (as at the time it
seemed like a free machine to mess around with) but I've since moved
to using DragonFly on an Athlon tower.

Since OLDCARD support was primarily broken with previous commits,
I see no reason to keep it absent pending fixes.  If anyone is using
a working OLDCARD setup, please correct me on this point as my
problem was specific to the Cirrus Logic chipset (--- see previous
post to list).

--
 Allan Fields, AFRSL - http://afields.ca
 2D4F 6806 D307 0889 6125  C31D F745 0D72 39B4 5541