Re: interesting cross-install failure

From: YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt+dfly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:18:27 +0900

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 09:45:18PM -0700, David Frech wrote:
> Also, when I tried to installkernel, it complained that I was missing parts
> of the directory hierarchy - most of it in fact! So I decided to do
> installworld first, thinking it would probably create the missing dirs.

Yeah, installkernel fails miserably trying to install something other than
/kernel and /modules(actually /modules will be a flat file rather than a
directory full of kernel modules!) if you specified an empty directory as
$DESTDIR. I remember I wrote a patch to move the installation of a manpage
and a few scripts out of installkernel target(need a rework).

> Doing that I discovered a subtle issue with the install _program_. It
> _implicitly_ refers to the "host" machine's /etc/master.passwd and
> /etc/group, and there is no way to override this, and since installworld
> uses symbolic rather than numeric uid's and gid's, and since DragonFly
> introduces a few new uid's and gid's (compared to FBSD 4.10), install
> complains, and installworld fails.
> I tried using chroot, but figure out a way to make it work.
>
> My interim simple solution was to add the necessary id's to
> /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group. Doing that, the installworld and
> installkernel were successful.

I wrote a simple bourne-shell script

  http://les.ath.cx/DragonFly/pwmerge.sh

to add missing entries from /usr/src/etc/{master.passwd,group} into
${DESTDIR}/etc using pw(8) and run pwd_mkdb afterwards. It probably
need more sanity checks (e.g. refuse to proceed if it found corrupted
entries, or if a predefined uid/gid is already used in $DESTDIR/etc)
and rewrite(using pw is probably a bit too far). After running this
script in the earlier stage of installworld, you can point the updated
password file via
  install -L $DESTDIR/etc ...