Re: More ramblings from the annoying route engine guy...

From: Pete <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:54:37 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:So, I've been slowly making progress getting my route schema working :within LWIP. This is not the way to learn C. In any case, after :chatting on #dragonflybsd I found out that many people are :interested in something that rolls vrrp/carp/etc functionality in :with loadbalancing, so loosing an interface doesn't drop a box, etc. :I just happen to have been spending the last few days pounding on :Extreme's and wonder if their schema could be of use.
:
:Extreme's are an entirely virtual interface driven system. For :simplicity they call their interface's vlans, although they have :nothing to 802.1q. IP interfaces are defined by individual vlans. :These vlans are then bound to one or more physical interfaces. This :lets you literally bind say, 192.168.1.1/24 to 4 gigabit ports. It :might be cpu intensive, but instead of layering on carp/vrrp could :this sort of schema work and allow even greater flexibility?
:
:Joshua Coombs

Hi, would this not be covered fairly well by a combination of Link Aggregation (802.ad) Spanning Tree along with carp. That way you have your 4 gige ports in a aggregate group with a second redundant aggregate group for failover. Then having another layer of failover with carp, or something along those lines. It would need some modifications to the code but i think less than the schema you envisage.

Pete