Re: DFly installer needs option to ovewrite system binaries while keep user installed programs and data

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:13:46 -0700 (PDT)

:Been fighting with dreadful "Panic: stack overflow" for too long (more than an hour) :( Anyway, I often used Upgrade feature of
:FreeBSD sysinstall which just replaced the system files and kept user data and settings intact. DFly installled NEEDS this too :)
:With feature like this I would just boot from live cd and replace boot loader code (plus other files) and all would be fine.
:
:So what is the proper sequence to replace boot code after doing installworld?
:pre-1) copy original /boot to /boot.orig
:1) copy /boot.orig to /boot
:2) disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 /dev/<proper-disk-device+slice>
:
:But does not seem to work :(
:
:Need to check what does make installworld do to install bad code...
:
:Toma¾

    The solution, Tomaz, is for you not to use GCC-3.x snapshots or
    runtimes.

    In anycase, a gcc-3 built /boot/loader is what is generating the stack
    overflow.  I think all the other boot bits work with both compilers.

    Compiling and installing new boot blocks:

    cd /usr/src/sys/boot
    make clean
    make obj
    make
    make install

    disklabel -B ad0s1		(for example)

    That's good enough.  Your boot0 (which is installed via boot0cfg) is
    probably fine.

    You don't need the -b or -s options if the boot blocks are being installed
    from their default locations, -B is sufficient.