Re: Heads up: Timer Problems

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:32:38 -0700 (PDT)

::if you did experience timer problems like system time going wild,
::please try the new "options TIMER_USE_1" in your kernel config and
::report if this does (not) solve your problem. Even if you don't have
::problems, I'd like to know if this change does break any machine.
::
::Joerg
:
:    Excellent idea, Joerg.  I would be very interested in knowing whether
:    TIMER1 is more compatible as well.   I kinda miss the speaker :-)
:

    TIMER_USE_1 is creating problems on my AMD64 test box.  The boot is a LOT
    slower, though the box seems to operate ok after booting has completed.

    I've played around with it and booting slows down when I program timer 1
    to a full count, even if I don't use TIMER_USE_1.  Is that strange or
    what?

    I don't know what is causing the slow-down.   It only seems to effect
    the device probe stage during booting, so perhaps it is generating an
    interrupt or something.