Re: [Re: failure notice spam]

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:04:53 -0700 (PDT)

:At 1:10 PM +0200 9/15/04, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
:>On 15.09.2004, at 07:37, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>>
:>>     I haven't implemented it yet but I think the solution is
:>>     to simply require that people who post mime-encoded stuff
:>>     include a special header with a password.  The password
:>>     won't be secret or anything, we would publish it ...
:>
:>I'm not sure whether this is a good idea. I for my part can't
:>add headers in Apple Mail (at least I don't know how)
:
:It's easy to do minor variations on this.  The first thing that
:comes to my mind is to require a specific email address (such
:as "has-mime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx") in the BCC field.  That way, the
:magic word won't even show up in any archives of the mailing
:list.
:
:The way that I would imagine it to work is that all MIME-encoded
:mail which arrives directly to the mailing list would be thrown
:away, but mail which arrives at has-mime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx would
:then be inserted into whatever mailing list it referenced in the
:"To:" or "CC:" fields.  (if no legit mailing list was referenced,
:the message would be thrown away -- so spam sent to that magic
:address would not end up on any mailing list).
:
:Hmm.  This seemed so simple when I started to write it, but is
:getting a little more complicated as I think about it...
:
:--
:Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    I could definitely allow postings where the From: address matches
    a subscriber's address.  I think it's important to make things as
    convenient as possible.

    In order to allow unsubscribed postings or postings from a different
    email address then the person subscribed(1) I would like to have some
    sort of mechanism, a header or something in the body, etc (Bcc: won't
    work, it gets stripped before the list server sees it) that enables
    the mime to go through.

    note(1): you can register 'alias' email addresses with the list
    server so the list server knows all the email addresses you might
    post from, but only actually sends posts to your primary address.