stupid ports question

From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:37:47 +0200 (CEST)

Hi folks.

  I recently installed DragonFly and so far, so good.  I'd like to have a
"proper system" though, and for me that means installing stuff from ports
(like a mail client and windowmanager, etc).

  Since I run NetBSD on my other machine, most things are similar, but few
are identical.  Specifically, I can't seem to find a way to set compiler
flags, etc, for all ports (like compiling for 686) and selecting
"features" of ports (like X GUI or not); i.e. something similar to NetBSDs
/etc/mk.conf .

  I have read the ports manpage and the handbook (btw, why isn't that
linked from the web site? It took some searching the mailing lists to
find..) but haven't seen anything that has helped.  Have I missed
something?  Do I have to type in stuff like USE_ flags manually for every
compile?

  And why doesn't make -j N work?  It invariably fails if there is any
kind of "interactiveness" before the compile..  Come to think of it, I
don't think any compile has gone through with the -j flag.

  And apart from all that, I think it's about time that users@ list was
created.  (or call it misc@ or anything)

Magnus