Re: ideas 3

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:29:47 -0700 (PDT)

:>     Well, I dunno.  bzip2 is now fairly ubiquitous in the world of UNIX,
:>     and it does produce ~17% better compressed ISOs.  While I don't think
:>     it is a good general choice due to its lack of flexibility in cpu
:>     consumption (1), it may be a good choice for ISO distribution.  bzip2 -9
:>     produces a 70MB file while gzip -9 produces an 82MB file.
:With 7z i get a 49 MB file instead of the 79 MB with gzip.
:See archivers/p7zip and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7z
:
:http://a.ftp.fortunaty.net/DragonFly/iso-images/dfly-1.0A_REL.iso.7z
:
:Andy

     I looked at it, but I don't think we are going to use it.  It looks
     like a mess of different algorithms and I don't trust that the long
     term (30 year horizon) stability and compatibility will be there.