Re: proc size mismatch

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 00:16:47 +0200

George Georgalis wrote:
<cut>
Thanks. I'll try it out... if makeworld requires a new kernel, shouldn't
makeworld also make a kernel? (we can be bold, no? -- I appreciate this
can be delicate) I don't suppose there is a makeworld requirement after
a kernel replacement?

Well, it seems to me that most of the time I want to upgrade my system from source that the consequence is building and installing a world and a kernel. But when I change the kernel config (like deleting support for a device which I didn't have anyway) you don't need to "update" the rest because the binaries would be the same anyway. This assumes that the source from where the binaries original where ccreated are the same version as the source on your local system.

In short:
If you didn't updates the source then general speaking you don't need to install world when you install a new kernel.

If you updated the source to update your system, then general speaking you must at least build/install the world and the kernel.

--
mph