Re: AFS client for dragonfly

From: Richard Nyberg <rnyberg@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:06:26 +0200

At Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:50:37 -0400,
esmith wrote:

> Richard Nyberg wrote:
> > I just meant arla. It is an AFS client, though there are some AFS
> > server parts too. The only part of arla that actually needed any
> > porting was the kernel module (nnpfs nowadays).
>
> Where are some good sources of information on nnpfs?

Well, at work mine is a couple of doors down the corridor :)
But seriously, I don't know of any non living guides to nnpfs.
You could ask on the arla-drinkers mailing list though. Someone
might have written (or know of) some documentation.
The source is well written and structured, however, so you could
just browse that. Also, so you don't get terribly confused: nnpfs
is just a new name for xfs. People used to confuse it with SGI's XFS :(

Here's a little sketch of how it works.
nnpfs is essentially a kernel proxy to arlad.  nnpfs serves the
kernels VFS requests, but communicates with arlad on a device.
You could say there is some rpc going on using a device as
transport. arlad does the tricky networking and disk-cache stuff,
and retrieves data for nnpfs.

	-Richard