Re: Scheduler patch 03 available for testing

From: dunker <dunker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:10:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :ok, that works ;]
> :must say my box is working fine, stream music works while doing
> :make -j10 buildworld. ony minor point is that swapping workspaces
> :in X is slow when the box is compiling.
> :
> :Bart.
>
>      This will depend heavily on how much memory your system has.  Since we
>      do not schedule I/O yet, only CPU, any disk intensive activity will
>      interfere with (slow down) paging activity.  So if you don't have a lot
>      of memory there are going to be issues.
>
>      Use 'systat -vm 1' or 'vmstat 1' in an xterm to observe paging activity.
>      If you aren't paging there could still be a scheduling issue.
>
>      Also note that certain programs, like Mozilla, which can eat a ton of cpu
>      for periods of several seconds when loading pages, may still be adversely
>      effected by a background buildworld.  This is because it's fairly
>      difficult to discern between a cpu-guzzling mozilla and a cpu-guzzling
>      compile :-)
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Matt ;]

i runned vmstat and indeed it is page faulting but i don't now what the
expected values are. when i'm just running X page fault are ~ 1000, when
the box is busy compiling faults are 8000-20000 with peaks at 25000.
what i noticed is that if i dont use the -j10 the box remains responsive.
i dont think its a memory issue, i've got 512 meg in this box.

grtx,

Bart