Re: Dragonfly won't boot

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:04:41 -0700 (PDT)

:Hi,
:
:I've been using FreeBSD since 1.1 , but I thought I'd give DragonFly a go
:and see how it looked.
:
:I installed 1.0A on a P4 2.6ghz with P4M266a Northbridge/ VT8235 Southbridge
:and  ITE IT8705 I/O  chipsets.
:
:Installation went fine, including installing boot blocks and I can mount
:ad0s1a  from the memory system booted from the CD on /mnt and everything
:looks OK..kernel and modules are there, but it just won't boot. Accesses
:the drive when you hit return after the 'F1' prompt, but no go.
:
:Drive is an 80gb Samsung.
:
:Sounds like a geometry problem? I have another box I can try and I will do
:that and see if it's me or what.
:
:--
:-Jim

    Try turning on packet mode.  You can do it from the installer on the
    CD, or you can boot the CD, login as root, and use boot0cfg to set
    it.  I think something like:

    boot0cfg -o packet ad0

    In the installer development group's instructions we had realized
    that we did not do a good job describing 'packet mode' (which is a
    checkbox in the section where you install boot blocks).  We ran into
    the release deadline.