Re: RELEASE UPDATE TO 1.0A - issue with installer corrupting slices

From: Jud <judmarc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:56:23 -0400

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:13:52 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The 1.0-REL ISO's installer corrupts slices when installed on anything
other then the last slice. This will mess up people running multi-boot
systems.

Is this possibly related to the RAID-0 (Promise 20276 onboard controller chip) breakage I experience each time I try to mount the array from DragonFly (which is installed on a third non-RAIDed drive)? It occurs instantly upon issuing the mount command, whether I try to mount_ntfs the Win2000 slice or mount the (UFS1) FBSD-CURRENT slice. The first 2-3 times the array breaks I can build it again in the RAID BIOS and recover, but eventually the corruption is too extensive and the only solution is to wipe the drives with IBM's DFT and restore from backups.

The breakage does not occur when I issue the mount_ntfs command from FBSD.

This has been occurring for a long while. I did not experience the problem with the May 10th snapshot, but when I tried the next stable snapshot (May 22nd or thereabouts?) in early June, that's when it started happening.

Jud