Re: Floppies?

From: "Sarunas V." <vsarunas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:54:14 +0100

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:42:36 -0400, Walter Venable wrote:
[snip]
> Unfortunately the boot-from-CD is not an option.  The system doesn't
> support it.  Too old.
If you have a spare machine, you could add your hard drive to a new
machine which supports boot from cdrom, then install dfly, finally put it
back. I did this few times.

> The Slackware boot disk didn't seem to help.  When I told it to use the
> CDRom drive, it just said "Disk error 0x01."  The CD was in the drive.
I had a similar problems, I'm not fully sure why this is, but i think its
to do with the speed the cd was burned. Try to burn it at a slower speed.

> I can't seem to locate how to activate the installer after having
> mounted the CD-rom. Any hints?

The installer is in /cdrom/usr/local/sbin/.

See this:
http://www.livebsd.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/InstallerDocs

To lunch the installer do this:

Reboot to single user mode
mount your partitions
mount the cdrom(#mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0).
cd /cdrom/usr/local/sbin/
. /dfuibe_installer &
. /dfuife_curses

And the installer is running.
It took me a while to figure this out, but should work fine, as you were
running it from a CD

Chris: IIRC that is Smart Boot loader,I didn't remember the full name of
it when I was looking for it, but remember that I once needed it for an
old machine in order to install slackware, so I came up with that link
really fast.

--
Sarunas Vancevicius