Re: [ANNOUNCE] DragonFly BSD Installer RC1

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:21:58 -0700

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:56:36 +0200
"Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 30.06.2004, at 19:59, Ivan Voras wrote:
> > 	the network phase:
> > 	- one way to do it is to try DHCP and see if the computer gets
> > 	an IP
> > adress, but! how to communicate that address to the user doing the
> > install?

You could check the DHCP logs, if you have access to them, or...

> small server (snmp?) that reports to broadcast queries? + client for
> querying

Yes - you could use rconfig, but in reverse (run the rconfig server from
the headless machine, have it serve up a tiny script that just prints
the IP address - then run the rconfig client from the headful machine
you're going to be installing from, to see it ;)

-Chris

P.S. Thanks for the feedback, Ivan!  We're working on it :)