Initial impressions of DFly

From: Jonathan Fosburgh <syjef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:59:26 -0500

After another, um, heated discussion, on -current@, I finally decided to use
the other half of my harddrive here at work and install DFly.  I did the
route of installing FBSD 4.10 and then a source upgrade and it worked
wonderfully.  So far, all I can say is "WOW." :) I have been running -CURRENT
on this machine for about a year, and have been somewhat disappointed in the
stability and performance.  Not that I expected it to work as well as -STABLE
does at home, mind you, but it was not as good as I was hoping.  There has
been a noticeable improvement, but it is still rather underperforming.  Now
that I have DFly running here (just the last couple of days) I have seen a
tremendous improvement in performance.  On -CURRENT, even doing one
portupgrade would impact performance.  I have been doing 2-3 upgrades at a
time on DFly and I usually don't notice it.  Sometimes it is a little
unresponsive, but this is only a UP Pentium III (600mHz).  Memory management
also seems a lot better, although I don't have DRI for my graphics adapter
yet, so that could be part of it.  I even think DFly is outperforming my 4.9
system at home, which is on a similar processor with a fair amount of RAM.
All-in-all, job well done over the last year.  I hope the rather brisk
development continues, I've seen a lot of interesting things discussed on the
forums and at gobsd.com.

I do notice a port that needs an override, but I don't understand how that
works yet or the best way to incorporate it.  print/cups-base installs a
startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d that checks for uname output with *BSD*
or *Linux*, and maybe a few others.  Since DFly does not have BSD in its
name, the case falls through to the default action, which fails because it
assumes that true resides in /bin.  I manually editted the script to point
to /usr/bin/true so that cupsd is started, but modifying the case is
certainly a better way, I just haven't used them in a long time so I'm rather
rusty.