Re: one of recent commits seems to cure memory leak in modlogan (same problem present in freebsd 5.2.1)

From: Tomaž Borštnar <tomaz.borstnar@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 20:50:46 +0200

Alexander Leidinger pravi:
On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:58:59 +0200
Toma_ Bor_tnar <tomaz.borstnar@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello!

Had problems with modlogan processing semi-big apache logfiles -

I'm the maintainer of the FreeBSD modlogan port. What does "semi-big"
logfiles mean?
up to 10 gigs, mostly around 5-6 per month.

I have a ~960M apache logfile and I have no problems
processing it (FreeBSD-current).
Me neither, but have with much bigger ones.

A recent modlogan is more memory friendly, and since it uses expat2 it also depends on changes in expat. Are you sure you haven't noticed some change in modlogan/expat2?
I use modlogan for some time, but every now and then I use it to process big (historical) files. Since production machines were running FreeBSD I used Dfly test machine which was killing modlogan with "out of memory" (with almost 30 000 000 lines of log). I tried the same on FreeBSD 5.2.1 and with same results. Then I recompiled kernel to let apps use up to 768MB of memory and modlogan was able to finish most of logfiles. With one of recent commits these same logfiles take less than 50 megs of RAM when running. I used same 0.8.11 (from same ports system!) on both systems.

Tomaž

Bye, Alexander.