Re: first release date

From: esmith <esmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 00:58:20 -0400

Matthew Dillon wrote:

:Yes, late in the month.  Would end-of-year may be feasible for
:VFS/packaging?  That's a question for the folks working on it, which may be
:better asked on, say, July 1st.

    I've been thinking about packaging seriously for the last few days and
    the more I think about it, the more I think we should just port Debian's
    apt-get, enforce a multi-installed-version capability (e.g. for libraries),
    and then focus on bringing patches into that framework.

We'll definitely not have a packaging system in the first release, but I think having something by the end of the year is doable (and a good
goal).

-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yeah, there is no reason why a package system can't be just another user-land application and still achieve the goals desired. I'll write a system, and if you like it, you can have it.

Beyond the stated feature goals on the DragonFly web page, if anyone wants to suggest desirable features, please do so.