Re: Device layering work patch #3

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 09:43:21 -0700 (PDT)

:On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 04:52:03PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     Sorry about that, patch #2 doesn't apply cleanly due to other recent
:>     changes (e.g. to bktr, and buildworld had a fault due to vinum's attempt
:>     to overload userland and kerneland definitions).  I have generated a
:>     new patch, #3, which does apply cleanly.
:
:Are you sure about the patch to bktr_os.c? Doesn't the cdevsw_remove
:destroy all devices, even if there are multiple bktr(4) devices in the
:tree? I haven't check the rest yet.
:
:Joerg

    I'm definitely not sure, which is why it's still a patch set and not
    yet committed.

    I think you have hit upon an interesting problem.  We probably need to
    specify a unit argument or some such to cdevsw_remove(), or perhaps
    even go as far as to specify a minor device number mask and match
    value since 'unit' number formatting is not really formalized (other
    then by the DISK subsystem).  For that matter, we might have to specify
    some sort of ranging mask for cdevsw_add().  I'll have to think about
    it.