Re: kernel debugging question

From: Patrick Mauritz <oxygene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 12:55:35 +0200

Sascha Wildner wrote:
> The only way I can think of now is to create global data that I can look
> at after Debugger() has been called (in fact, this is what I'm going to
> do next). Question was, is there a better/more elegant way?
you could probably use qemu (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/), an x86
emulator (similar to bochs, but with dynamic translation for quite good
performance) - it allows to attach a gdb to the client environment.

unfortunately there are some linuxisms in the code and the last freebsd
patch I could find - at
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2004-03/msg00048.html
is pretty dated and doesn't apply to current versions of qemu anymore.

I didn't try attaching to a dfbsd guest, but it worked with the vsta kernel
on a linux host. I see few reasons why it shouldn't work with dfbsd though

patrick mauritz