Re: acpica5 issues

From: YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt+dragonfly-kernel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 14:14:21 +0900

Hi.
On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:45:20PM -0400, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> OK, I'm still having problems with acpica5 in my kernel config.
> Sometimes the boot hangs when probing the CD-ROM drive (freezes solid,
> no response to keyboard); sometimes it gets past that but hangs when
> screen and ctrl-alt-delete reboots, but is unable to sync buffers.  ^C
> doesn't interrupt the linux module loading.  Sometimes, however, it
> gets past this too and boots fully, and then I can use the system,
> leave it running all night if needed, no problem.

I can't comment on this, because I've never seen this here.
If you have option DDB in the kernel config, you can drop into
DDB by pressing ctrl-alt-esc to see where it's stuck.

> As reported earlier, if I use a module instead of building it into the
> kernel, I get random hangs.

Did you comment out the following lines from /sys/dev/acpica5/Makefile
(or from /sys/dev/acpi/acpi/Makefile if you still have my patch)
and rebuilt the module?

. if ${MACHINE} == "i386"
SRCS+= madt.c
. endif

> Also, I have
> kern.mmxopt=1
> in /boot/loader.conf, but I only get
>
> # egrep 'MMX|XXM' /var/run/dmesg.boot
>   Features=0xbfebf9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>
> none of the messages about using mmx optimised bcopy etc.   Is some
> verbose booting option needed?

Please try "egrep 'MMX|XMM' /var/run/dmesg.boot" instead.