Re: devfs vs udev/hotplug

From: Diego Calleja García <diegocg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:29:59 +0200

El Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:15:42 -0700 (PDT) Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

>     This is a case of using an elephant to solve a problem that could just
>     as easily be solved by a mouse.

You're right indeed, that fs idea looks like "reinventing devfs". I guess that
the right thing to do here would be to make udev to create the device nodes of
*all* the devices even if their device drivers haven't been loaded (with the
help of some "hardware detector") and let the kernel load the modules when
they're needed. In fact it seems like the right thing to do - /dev should show
*all* the device nodes for my hardware, users shouldn't care if their device
drivers have been loaded or not.