Re: Strange NFS performance

From: Richard Nyberg <rnyberg@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:56:20 +0200

At Sun, 18 Apr 2004 06:15:29 -0700,
walt wrote:

> Richard Nyberg wrote:
> > I have two NFS client mahcines. One running FreeBSD 4.8 and one running
> > dragonfly. The NFS server runs the same version of dragonfly as the client
> > (from 14 Apr.).
> .
> .
> > Reading and writing 100MB
> .
> .
> > DragonFly client (1700XP AMD, 512MB RAM, if_vr0)
> > Reading ~13s
> > Writing >1min
>
> I had a similar problem with linux on a via-rhine machine where the
> performance in one direction was very slow.  It turned out to be a bug
> in the via-rhine driver (now fixed).  The bug very clearly showed up
> with scp as well as nfs -- do you see the same speed asymmetry when
> using scp?

Hmm. I should have checked that, I just assumed it was nfs ~:P

scp 100MB

FreeBSD
to client 23s
from client 26s

DragonFly
to client 0:40 - 1:00
from client 1:20 - >4min (stopped measuring...)

Running 'netstat 1' on the clients showed that fbsd holds a very steady
pace both in input and output. df's rate varies wildly even hitting 0
sometimes. This is true for both directions.

	-Richard

PS. I know there aren't any hw problems because. The df client sometimes runs
WinXP *shudder* talking smb with the dragonfly server. That works great
in both directions and at a steady rate.