Re: displaying resident programs?

To: Steve Mynott <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:36:39 +0000

Steve Mynott wrote:
Cool I look forward to testing it!

Actually another tool that would be *most* useful :-) is something along the lines of NetBSD's pmap(1) or Darwin's vmmap, which is AFAIK absent in FreeBSD/DragonFly to basically display the virtual memory map of a process.

Well, I think such being possible through Linux' procfs, through /proc/<pid>/map. Anyway, FreeBSD and friends do have a pmap utility but it sort of sucks because of the sick tricks it plays using a helper KLD. :-)

	It can be found at: ports/sysutils/pmap.  I have got it
	working almost, but I am seriously not looking to fix it
	anymore.  If I get time (since I am up to my neck with
	a few projects) I will port NetBSD's pmap utility.

I assume that both pmap(1) (which uses UVM and appears under another name in OpenBSD) and vmmap (which uses Mach and doesn't anyway appear to be open source) would be too system specific to be directly ported??

I guess pmap(1) is easier to port than vmmap, but that is just plain speculation.

-- Steve

Cheers.

	-Hiten
	Hiten Pandya