Re: Kernel Panic on boot

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:05:29 +0100

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 11:20:55AM -0600, Eric J. Christeson wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 09:52, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > Can you boot with "hw.pci_disable_bios_route=1" set at the loader prompt?
>
> This allows it to boot just fine, although it doesn't detect any PCMCIA
> cards.

The problem is a broken PCI-BIOS which doesn't handle the route request
correctly. Since I have such a broken BIOS too, I added that tunable to
be able to boot GENERIC kernel.

There are three different "solutions" in order of increasing complexity:
- add a local hack wire the interrupt link for cardbus and add the necessary
  chipset specific part for activation. I'm doing this right now.
- include the hooks for ACPI interrupt routing. This depends on a working
  ACPI implementation instead and should work if you have to use ACPI on
  FreeBSD 5 too.
- port the pcib interrupt code from NetBSD/OpenBSD which allows the kernel
  to handle it w/ PCI BIOS at all.

The first point is some kind of scaled down version of the last point :)

Joerg