Re: Goals for first release (June/USENIX)

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:13:02 -0500

At 11:15 AM -0800 3/11/04, Matthew Dillon wrote:

You know, actually when I think about it, we do not really need to have a fully working packaging system in order to have fully working binary packages.

    If we use the /opt idea as a basis, then a binary package is
    simply a tar of /opt/<packageandver> directory.  The ONLY
    thing we really need to be able to use such a tar file is a
    parser for /opt/<pkgandver>/ENVIRONMENT which builds the
    symlinks and varsyms.

I think I'd prefer that it be '/opt-df' or '/df-pkg' or something else short but unique. Too many admins may be used to using /opt for other things, and it also might be that some of these package ideas could be easily adapted to other OS's.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad@xxxxxxxxxxx