Re: Benchmarking

From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:50:06 +0100

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:
> > Download the bootable ISO (from
> > http://www.dragonflybsd.org/main/download.cgi) and then upgrade to
> > -current via cvs? Is there a somewhat step-by-step walkthrough of the
> > process since, as I understand it there is no install/setup program?
>
> There's a README on the CDROM; you can boot with the CDROM and have a "live"
> system which will then let you read that README.  It still won't be that
> pleasant a process, but a new installer is being worked on by Rob and ...
> I forget who else.  You can also look at the current README as of this
> posting, through cvsweb: (url may wrap)

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/cvsweb/src/nrelease/root/README?rev=1.9&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

I went through the install process yesterday; it's really quite
straightforward if you have BSD experience (perhaps even if you don't,
but the disklabels etc may throw you off a bit then).

One thing -- I don't understand why the first step is to totally zero
out the hard disk.  Most people would already have a partition (slice)
on which they want to install the thing (so they can skip the zeroing
and fdisk step), or would have another OS installed and would want
to repartition retaining that OS (so the README could point them at
third-party software like Partition Magic).  And since (I believe)
that's "most people", it's not true that "DragonFly is typically
installed onto the first slice (ad0s1)."  Very likely they want to
skip the boot0cfg step too, if they have lilo/grub/WinNT bootloader
working.

In other words, the README could make it clearer which steps are
necessary and which are optional.  I'll send in a revised version if
there's interest.  OTOH, I guess anyone playing with this stuff would
know all this already so it's ok for now...

Rahul