Re: Daemon's Advocate article

From: Dan Melomedman <dan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:35:01 -0500

James Frazer wrote:
> 1.  Too many strange choices & configurations
> 2.  Needing to compile java to install Open Office (there was a lot of
> hoop jumping for this)
> 3.  Setting up printing wasn't so fun.

Welcome to Unix. It's a techie server operating system, not a desktop OS.
So far, KDE, GNOME, etc. are rigidly fitting into the Unix way of doing
things (technical and otherwise), and so all the troubles you mention.
On the other hand, Apple was successful at integrating Unix into a
desktop, but it's more of a desktop, not a server.

> 1.  standard installer & package management
> 2.  standard configuration & uniform config system
> 3.  a bias towards ONE main (official) configuration (ie:  no choice
> between kde, gnome, or whatever).

If only we could all agree with each other. Before this is possible,
let's standardize some things in BSDs essential components first, across
all BSDs. Yeah, I can dream.

--
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.