Re: Daemon's Advocate article

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:04:24 -0800

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:18:28 -0500
"Joshua Coombs" <jcoombs@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just got to travel down this road last week after giving up on
> porting Opie to NetBSD.  It's tied very heavily to the linux kernel
> itself, as is qt-embedded.  So, remembering that I started on linux
> based distros way back when, I ran out, snagged a set of
> boot/install floppies for Debian, and watched the installer tank
> with no real error output.  Turns out on a bare 30gb IDE drive, lilo
> was getting pissy and wouldn't install.  Ohtay, hell with release
> quality, lets try the testing branch and it's new installer...
> hrmmm... slowerer than crap, no real status indicators (It touches
> off a 61mb download and doesn't show progress or activity while
> running, you get to guess if it's stalled or not.) and whaddya know,
> lilo porked.

It's been my experience that lilo absolutely bites.  Easily Debian's
biggest mistake was to adopt it.

Give me boot0cfg's bootmgr any day.  The ???'s are a bit annoying, but
it's understandable that there's not a lot of space in the boot block to
store strings...  maybe track 0 could be used for this purpose though?

-Chris