Re: Packaging system effort

From: Enemy God <jasse@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:45:59 +0100

On Friday 27 February 2004 15.08, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Enemy God wrote:
> >Can't find the exact piece to quote, but I think it
> >was Simon that didn't like that ports should be installed
> >in /usr/...
> >
> >So what about installing them in /opt ???
> >
> >Is that too much Solaris (or too little BSD) ???
> >

> >        Jasse -- Installing Solaris/x86 right now, DF later...
>
> I probably should keep silent, I haven't contributed up to now, but you
> *really* shouldn't force *any* base install location, because it will be
> wrong for some folks.  For any particular disk allocation, there are
> *bound* to be some really wrong choices, which are fine and
> recommendable in other cases.  I know, from seeing how many other
> packaging efforts *do* handle this, that it's not something that's
> needed to do, so why force it in this case?
>
> Let the user do it.

Well, I'm writing this on a machine running FreeBSD.
I never got a question of an install location when I
installed the ports I wanted. I don't know where
the actual files that make up PureFTP is located.

My point was that if you can 'force' most of
ports/packages/3rd party software into a special location,
than it allowes you to make that location it's own filesystem.
That will reduce vnode waste, space loss or whatever Simon
or someone else was talking about.

      Jasse -- Too old to rock'n roll, but too young to die