Re: Can't get ed1 to show up

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:39:41 +0100

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 01:22:30PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> Now, in the interests of actually learning what is going on here, could you
> explain what this means?  I did a little work on the ZIP driver, so I should
> be able to follow you ok.  And I'll check out the other thread as well.

OLDCARD from FreeBSD 4.x didn't have a match routine, since the
devices were matched and enabled via userland code (pccardd).
NEWCARD does have all the necessary infrastructure in the kernel
and doesn't depend on pccardd/pccardc any more. The downside is
that each device driver must know which devices it can handle.

There are currently two ways to achieve this. The first is adjusting
device_probe to correctly detect the presence of such a device. The
other way I'll work on the next few days is to add card_compat_match
routines and use the OLDCARD/NEWCARD compatibility layer.

In the long term it is preferable to have all devices support the
native NEWCARD interface and drop OLDCARD. That will need quite some
work.

Joerg