DragonFly kernel List (threaded) for 2004-01
amd64 64-bit work starting
I am starting on the amd64 64 bit work now. I'm guess it will
take all of February to do, possibly longer since I am going
on a mini-vacation this coming week (but I'll have connectivity).
Most of the initial work is going to be precursor and infrastructure
work. e.g. building the cross compiler, cleaning up various programs,
system configuration files, and so forth. I intend to write the
majority of the kernel code from scratch but will definitely be using
the FreeBSD work as a template for a good chunk of it. I expect,
however, that the mmu topology and code will wind up being completely
different in DFly.
The rough sequence of events:
* build support and cross compilation work
* kernel build
* boot 64-bit kernel almost to single user
* 32 bit userland support
* boot kernel to single user
* basic device driver and filesystem testing
* boot kernel to multi user
(fully working system at this point)
* everyone w/ 64 bit boxes start banging on it, fixing additional
device drivers, get 64 bit buildworlds working, and so forth.