Re: Background fsck

From: "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:39:00 -0500

Dan Melomedman wrote:

Matthew Dillon wrote:

:Hi all,
:this is the outline of how to implement a background fsck for DragonFly.
:DR, this is somewhat more mature than what I wrote on Friday.
:
:Joerg

:The first alternative is using a journal for all meta-data updates. That's
:what most Linux filesystems are doing. The advantage is almost no time
:needed to bring a uncleanly unmounted filesystem back into a working state.
:The disadvantage is a steady slow down for _all_ meta-data updates.

This actually doesn't slow down meta-data updates all that much,
because the journal is linear it takes only one seek to update while
you might need hundreds of seeks to update the meta-data in its individual locations on the disk.

This is really the best way to do it, I think.

I've read somewhere that it can actually speed some specific cases up.

Perhaps of interest in this regard:

Jonathan S. Shapiro, Jonathan Adams
"Design Evolution of the EROS Single-Level Store"
http://www.eros-os.org/papers/storedesign2002.pdf

Cheers,
-JC