Re: Installation experience (was Re: Installing from SCSI cdrom)

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:58:54 -0800 (PST)

:This box is a dual PIII with 2 SCSI drives and 2 SCSI cdroms.
:
:The DragonFly install cd won't find the root FS when booted from a SCSI
:cdrom.
:
:Solution: I booted from the FreeBSD 4.2 Live CD (the second one).
:Entered 'Fixit' mode and mounted the DragonFly cdrom that I inserted in
:my second cdrom drive. The slice I had freed for DragonFly happened to
:be the third one on the first disk (da0s3), but the dev entries aren't

    Thanks for the README fixes, Miguel.

    I'm sure there is some stupid-simple reason for why DFly isn't finding
    the SCSI CDRom root.  This would be a good bug for someone to track
    down!  I need to focus on a number of panics reported by David Rhodus
    and get back to the IPC work.

:Finish the install and reboot. There's a trivial typo in the README (see
:attached patch) in the supfile path, no biggie.
:
:I've rebuilt world and kernel, and typing this in Mozilla Thunderbird.
:This works so well that DFly is now my default desktop OS. Congrats to
:Matt and the rest for making such a nice OS.

    Thanks!

:Btw, there used to be a thread about the new install program, has anyone
:  started working on it? Sounds like an interesting project to me.
:
:Cheers,
:	Miguel Mendez

    Nothing serious has been done yet in regards to the new installer.