Re: about changing a new harddisk

From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:09:18 -0500

> I have just upgrading my BSD machine from my old 440BX motherboard with
> Promise ATA Chipset to a new VIA Chipset montherboard for AMD.  I have
> sucessfully mount the root partition.  However, I cannot mount the /usr and
> /var,  I try all of the slice in ad0(there are 4 slice in the drive),
> Actually, What should I do for it.

fdisk (eg, fdisk /dev/ad0) should tell you what slices you have, and
disklabel with appropriate slice argument (eg, disklabel -r
/dev/ad0s1) should tell you what BSD partitions you have on that
slice.  What do those say?  Are you unable to mount the partitions as
reported by disklabel?

> I want to try to mount the /usr to use
> ee to re-write the /etc/fstab.  But, I cannot access the ee while /usr has
> not been mounted.

You could boot from the DragonFly livecd, which has ee on it, but
that's probably not much help if the above (fdisk, disklabel) didn't
already work.

Rahul