Re: Should there be a seperate mailing list for ports?

From: esmith <esmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:59:54 -0500

Eirik Nygaard wrote:

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 03:41:16PM +0000, esmith wrote:

Should there be a separate mailing list for ports?

I think bugs@ and submit@ should be enough at the moment, what I would like is a list more oriented for discussion and question about the system and hacking on the source of DragonFly.

I think that's what a seperate list for ports would accomplish. It would leave kernel@ for "discussion and question about the system and hacking on the source of DragonFly" and give userland apps their own homeland.

Maybe this is over-the-top but, I'll just throw it out there. Any comments are welcome.

I was thinking of discussions like the prior thread "building X on DragonFly", while this could be posted to bugs@, it would be nice to see people reporting ports they have built successfully without any trouble and the date this was accomplished. Or short How-To build posts, to barrow a linux-ism.

We could check the list before wasting our time building a port that will fail. Simply because no one reported a bug, doesn't mean the port will build. No one may have tried it yet. Or in the case of X11, one symbolic link means the difference between leaving a build unattended or not. On slower machines, a build could run for hours before failing. I'd like to know in advance.

For example, rxvt built with no problems and I've managed to build a surprising ( to a new user like me ) number of other ports.

Suggestion:
We could have seperate lists for each major release of dragonfly like ports_df_1_0 and ports_df_1_1, etc... Then each root post in a thread could be the name of a port, such as, "x11/rxvt", mirroring the ports tree, and over time people would simply add replies to submit information on this port. It would organize running discussions like the building KDE threads that are now posted in kernel@.

DF will have it's own packaging system in the future, and that, too, can have its own list as it will have its own issues to deal with.