Re: LibC status and others...

From: ibotty <bsd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:39:33 +0100

>     Eventually we will rely on the IPC service entirely for normal
>     system operation and fall-back onto the flatfiles when the IPC service
>     is not available (i.e. get rid of the DBM stuff).

IMO, in the end, we do not need the fallback, because our supervisor will
restart the service as soon as it dies (not that that would happen...).
and when, the supervisor does not supervise the service... we are in
single-user mode.

in case of a crash within a request, libc might sleep a second, and try
again. in this time, our supervisor should have restarted the daemon.

>     Retaining
>     robustness might require some careful programming, though.

yes, this will be a fundamental part of the system.

if my analysis exercises are not too hard, i might have a prototype
implementation (of <pwd.h>, not nss) running.

~ibotty