Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc.subr src/sbin/rcrun rcrun.sh

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:18:37 -0800 (PST)

    I have added some major extensions to RCNG.  It's about half done, but
    what I have committed should work fairly well (and other developers can
    fix individual rc.d files for things that do not have all the bells and
    whistles).

    Basically RCNG now records the status of each provider's activation as
    a system varsym.  The status is typically 'running', 'disabled', or
    'failed'.

    I then wrote a script which I've placed in sbin called 'rcrun', and
    a number of symlinks to shortcut the command sequence, e.g. 'rcstart',
    'rcstop', 'rcrestart', and so forth.

    You need to upgrade your RC scripts (make upgrade_etc in /usr/src/etc on
    your DFly box or just do a buildworld/installworld), and you need to
    build and install /usr/src/sbin/rcrun, and you need to reboot.  The
    reason you need to reboot is so RCNG populates the varsyms.  Otherwise
    the rcrun scripts will be confused.

    I've tested this with 'mail' (note: you go by the PROVIDES keyword, not
    the script name).  e.g. 'rcstop mail' 'rcstart mail'.

    I have also tested this with rwho which is an example of a RCNG script
    which does not have a 'stop' directive.  There are many RCNG scripts
    which have not implemented 'stop' which need 'stop' implemented.

    --

    We can eventually augment the rcorder program to do a reverse ordering
    or a shutdown ordering that will allow us to do such cool things as