Failure to boot and dead processes

From: Craig Dooley <cd5697@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 21:29:00 -0500

Since I've gotten this new laptop, I've had a couple problems.  One is
no apm showing up, but I can deal with that.  ACPI though, has some
major issues.  Over 50% of the time, boot will not finish.  Things will
hang after ad0 and acd0 are found, but when it does finish the next
message is about an ACPI embedded controller failure to connect.  Is
there a way I can disable this subsystem to figure out if it is the
problem?  Next is after heavy disk io, especially cvs and compilation,
processes will start being stuck in state inode, but taking 0% cpu.  At
this point they are unkillable and the kernel will lose buffers when
trying to shutdown.  Is this related to the ata controller?  Should
atang help this, and if so is there a testable patch?  Third, rebooting
does not work.  I get the rebooting prompt, but it won't go anywhere.  I
tried taking out the DISABLE_BAD_KEYBOARD define or something like that
in cpu_restart_real (I think thats the function) but it does not print
the debug printfs or help.  I have to hold the power button for 4
seconds to get a real reboot.  The final problem is with power
management.  Since apm does not work and acpi has no device, there is no
way to suspend or hibernate or whatever, and any sleep event (power
button, lid close) will just hang the laptop.  If there is a way to
disable acpi subsystems, should I try lid, or event?  I want to try
importing acpica 20031203 and adding back /dev/acpi to see if that
helps, but does anybody have any hints on the other problems?  I flashed
my radeon bios since thats the only warning X was giving before
segfaulting, but I dont think that will help, so I'm rebuilding
everything after pkg_delete -rf "XFree86*" and rm -rf /usr/X11R6. Thanks
for the help.  Any info will be given thats needed.  Heres the laptop
specs.

HP Pavilion zt3020us
Intel Centrino
	1.4Ghz Pentium M