Re: how to start building?

From: David Leimbach <leimy2k@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:46:07 -0600

On Nov 26, 2003, at 1:03 AM, Matthew Dillon wrote:

:Awwwww crap! : :I downloaded the wrong CVSup file. I got the one that does just sys :and not any of the :other source stuff. : :I thought for a while there I was just taking crazy pills :) : :Thanks for your help and patience everyone. : :Dave

    Ach.  Is there some default we have wrong or confusion that we can
    clear up by adding a comment in the cvsup file?

Well its my fault for not reading more closely on the download section more closely.

There is a good chance people might just "trust you" and not read the cvsup file
before running it [from my own experience]

I would re-write the text of the Download page to read:

"The preferred method for obtaining the DragonFly codebase is to get CVS repository via
cvsup. The file <link>dragonfly-cvs-supfile</link> contains the CVSup configuration needed
to retrieve the CVS and will download the CVS to /home/dcvs.

For example:
	mkdir /home/dcvs
	cvsup -g -L 2 dragonfly-cvs-supfile

If you don't plan to build the dragonfly source or just want the sys hierarchy you can use this
supfile: <link> dragonfly-cvs-sys-supfile</link>."

Alternatively I would distribute only one supfile. As DragonFly, for all its coolness, is not
quite ready for the uninitiated BSD users, I don't think it would be a problem to edit the
supfile manually or tell the user how to change the one line or two that will make us get
all of src vs just sys.

I am cool now [besides mergemaster crapping out which I saw some traffic about earlier]
but perhaps someone else will hit the same problem. Then again... most people don't try to do
3 things at once all the time like I do and will probably read more carefully than I.

Dave