Re: messaging questions...

From: David Leimbach <leimy2k@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:33:23 -0600

On Nov 25, 2003, at 2:05 AM, Matthew Dillon wrote:

:Cool.... So I have been gleefully digging through the thread code as it
:seems important to
:understand that before trying to message a thread :)... I noticed the
:kernel has a way to get
:the current thread very easily via some macros and functions.
:
:Is there any way a user can just find out what his current thread is?
:I presume every process
:has at least 1 of these things or a lot of what I am reading in the
:kernel doesn't look like it
:would work very well.
:
:Dave

    Each user process has only one kernel thread.  That is, DFly is not
    organized like the KSE model in FreeBSD-5.  DFly's organization
    is very simple by comparison because the intention with DFly is
    to have to userland manage userland threads entirely within
    userland.

Tautolly :) erm Totally :) So pthreads have to be lwkt 1:1 mapping. This isn't actually as bad as it sounds as it lets you take advantage of the natural SMP of the system without major added complexity to the code.

I was actually having "fun" I guess making KSE's do what I wanted...
it always killed the kernel but for a short time I had a really lightweight
userland "leimy-thread" :). The code I wrote for it was however a
product of evil... the spawn of satan so I had to destroy it.

Ok so I clobbered it and forgot to back up.

If that makes any sense :-)