Re: snapshots are broken

From: David Cuthbert <dacut@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 00:36:02 -0500

Galen Sampson wrote:
Define "BIOS disk". I would like to be able to boot from a floppy to install. The machine I have running dragonfly doesn't support booting from a CD at all....

How about making a (non-DF-specific) floppy which boots the rest of the OS from a CD?

I've seen (and used) a few Linux installs where we did this (via LILO) to boot from a secondary partition on a HD, when installing LILO to the MBR was not permissible. I don't know how different El Torito is from a normal boot record, though.

Another option that I fancy is to use a Compact Flash card as a boot drive. I don't have much experience with this; but I did have a 386 happily booting FreeBSD without any HDs, only a CF card in IDE emulation mode.