Re: interface renaming

From: Richard Coleman <richardcoleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:05:11 -0500

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:

-On [20031031 20:32], Richard Coleman (richardcoleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

There was a big commit to FreeBSD-current to do interface renaming to bring it in line with other *BSD. Below is the commit message. Is this change of interest for DFBSD? If so, I could start work on it.

I haven't paid attention to many kernel lists, so I have to ask you,
what would this mean in the end?  That all ethernet interfaces, for
example, are named like Linux does: eth0, eth1, what now might be xl0
and fxp0?

Brook's message to this list a few minutes ago explains it better than I could. That's not surprising, since he is doing the committing to FreeBSD-current.