Fast User Space Mutexes (aka Futexes)

From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:05:04 +0100

Hi Gang,

Sinces the day when Matt was interviewed by the SlashNET people, a couple of questions arised as to the implementation of Futexes for the new libcr which is going to be written.

I am sending this mail as an opening to this discussion. Hopefully, some of the Linux seniors scanning this lists (Rik et al) will provide some comments and suggestions on this topic.

IMHO, from the way Futexes work, it would be great to have an implementation of it for DragonFly. For those of you wondering what Futexes are exactly, please refer to [1], as thats the most complete documented information I could find, apart from the Ottawa proceedings (Rusty Russell).

[1] - http://www.catfive.org/cgi-bin/man2web?program=futex&section=4

Regards,

--
Hiten Pandya