Re: Ports & Pkg Mgr

From: Wade <neroz@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:50:45 +0800

James Frazer wrote:
Maybe the kernel mailing list isn't the best place for this post but it seems to be the most relevant list I could find.

I was wondering if there was any consideration for making use of the darwin-ports infrastructure as a possible future option?

I've been following the darwin-ports efforts off and on for the last year or so and although not as mature as the current FreeBSD Ports system it looks as though it will be more future-proof.

Since it works independent of pkg-management it is foreseeable that it could work in hand with dfbsd's goals.

What are your feelings on the matter?

-James

Why are ports going to be used rather than an actual package management system?