Re: Ports & Pkg Mgr

From: James Frazer <jfrazer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:03:00 -0500

A C callable API -- hmm -- okay so how does this relate to their current TCL code? I haven't actually played with dports first-hand so I'm still ignorant of its ways.

Interesting. Right, so do you know what the status for darwin ports on non-darwin OS's is? I know someone had it working on FreeBSD.

Okay here is a question for you -- Is the dports system in a mature enough state that one should spend any significant amount of time/effort writing portfiles for it? (without something changing that would make them all obsolete). I understand that dports will never acquire full acceptance until enough portfiles are written for it.

DragonflyBSD seemed more likely to adopt dports [over the other BSDs] because they are a smaller group and can do pretty much whatever they want -- hence my interest and initial inquiry here. Not having a Mac and being a noname in FreeBSD-land has kept me at a distance from current efforts to do anything with dports.

-James